Contact Your Insurance Company
Before surgery, you will need to contact your insurance company. You will need to find out if pre-authorization, pre-certification, second opinion or a referral form is required. It is very important to make this call as failure to clarify these questions may result in a reduction of benefits or delay of surgery. Download and complete the Insurance Company Checklist.
- If you do not have insurance, please notify the registration staff that you will need help in making payment arrangements.
After your surgery has been scheduled, the Admitting Department will call you to gather your pre-registration information by phone. You will need to have the following information ready when you are contacted:
- Your full legal name and address, including county.
- Home phone number.
- Marital status.
- Social Security number.
- Name of primary insurance subscriber (self, spouse, parent), his or her address and phone number.
- Name of insurance company, mailing address, policy and group number.
- Name of your employer, address, phone number and occupation.
- Nearest relative (name, address and phone number); and
- Name, address and phone number of someone to notify in case of emergency (this can be the same as the nearest relative).
Obtain Medical and Anesthesia Clearance
When you are scheduled for surgery, your surgeon will tell you whether you need to see your primary care physician and/or a specialist.
Obtain Laboratory Tests
When you are scheduled for surgery, you will receive a laboratory testing order sheet from your surgeon. Have your testing performed at a lab approved by your insurance company, preferably 7-10 days prior to your surgery or within 30 days before your surgery. Ask that the results be faxed to your surgeon’s office. If you can have your testing performed at Christiana Care, there is a Pre-Admission Testing area at both Christiana Hospital and Wilmington Hospital. No appointment is necessary.
Christiana Hospital Pre-Admission Testing 7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday 302-733-1558
Wilmington Hospital Pre-Admission Testing 7 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday 302-428-6801
Decide Whether to Donate Your Blood
You may wish to donate your own blood. Please review “For Your Information,” Blood Transfusions. Inform your surgeon of your wishes.
Review “What is an Advance Directive”
The law requires that everyone being admitted to a medical facility has the opportunity to make advance directives concerning future decisions regarding their medical care. Please refer to “For Your Information,” Advance Directives for more information. Although you are not required to do so, you may make the directives you desire. If you have advance directives, e.g. living will, please bring copies to the hospital on the day of your surgery.
Register for a Surgical Spine Center Class
A special class is held weekly on Tuesday’s for patients scheduled for spine surgery. You will only need to attend one class. Members of the “team” will be there to answer your questions. If it is not possible for you to attend, please inform your Surgical Spine Center case manager. The outline of the class is as follows:
- What to do before surgery.
- The day of your surgery – you and your family.
- Highlights of your hospital stay.
- Occupational therapy plan.
- Physical therapy plan.
- Discharge planning.
- Questions and answers.
- Tour of the Surgical Spine Center.