Many people would like to get in better shape and be more active. Jogging, swimming, lifting weights, or maybe Zumba comes to mind. There is another, lesser-known sport that is fun and beneficial that can be recreated in both gym and outdoor settings, rowing.
Benefits of Rowing
- Scalable to any fitness level. The harder you work, the more resistance you experience.
- Rowing is a full-body functional movement. Many joints and muscles are worked through a large range of motion.
- It builds muscular endurance in the low back. Training muscular endurance in the low back has been shown to improve low back pain.
- Rowing requires excellent sitting balance. The rower builds an awareness of the position that the back is in, and the strength and coordination to keep it in a strong position while working hard. This carries over tremendously into everyday life,
- Rowing is impact-free. It can be an excellent cross-training activity for runners and those with stiff, sore joints.
- You can row at the gym. Use a rowing machine at the gym to diversify your cardio workout and improve upper body endurance.
- It’s fun!